Henry Monroe 803 10/18/14
ELA
Final
Imagine
that in the first half of your life you had cancer, and then with a very hurt
brain and a lack of social skills you go through another huge struggle… eighth
grade. Then throughout the year, all you have to push you through is some very
meaningful symbols. In the book After
Ever After by Jordan Sonnenblick
the main character Jeffry is a cancer survivor going through eighth grade. Jeffry
goes through many struggles, ::SPOILER ALERT:: whether it’s the statewide test
or his best friend getting cancer. He also faces family struggles such as his
dad pressuring him to be good at math, which is very hard for Jeffry because
most people excuse his inabilities for his lack of brainpower due to cancer.
Throughout the book, symbolism tends to pop up a lot. An example of this is
that the oatmeal he makes symbolizes the time when he had cancer and used to eat
oatmeal a lot. His bike is another big symbol, symbolizing his escape from the
all his problems. Finally the iPod
Tad gave him symbolizes ::BIG SPOILER:: the death of his best friend Tad.
Oatmeal
is a symbol of the time when Jeffry had cancer and is mentioned throughout the
story. An example of this is that in page 82 Jeffry states, “When I was going
through cancer Steven and I used to make dangerous pie, which was oatmeal, but
I called it dangerous pie.” This shows that oatmeal reminds him of a time when
he had cancer and the memories he shared with is brother during that tough
time. Secondly in page 51 it states, “Me, I heat oats, it started when I was a
little kid, about when the cancer kicked in…” This supports my claim even
further because this directly connects the time when he had cancer to him
making and eating oatmeal. Finally throughout the book Jeffrey emails his
brother. Jeffrey’s email is @Dangerous_Pie, which is obviously referring to the
oatmeal that he and his brother used to make in his time of need during his
struggle with cancer. To conclude oatmeal refers to the time when Jeffry had
cancer and he still talks about dangerous pie, meaning that he still remembers
the time when he had cancer and it still affects him to this day.
Secondly
Jeffry Talks about how his bike is an escape from all his troubles. An example
of this is that in pages 78-80 the author talks about a bike ride that Jeffry
had with his girlfriend Lindsey Abraham and how he felt at peace for the first
time all that year. This shows that only one ride and a little time away from
worries on his bike can make him at peace. . Also in page 43 Jeffry says “When
I’m on my bike I feel like I’m flying, no matter if I’m going up or down I feel
free when the wind is zooming by me and I don’t have a care in the world.” This
supports my statement further because it not only shows that time away makes
him feel happy, but the sensation of riding his bike makes him truly feel care
free. This backs up the fact that Jeffry’s bike is an escape from realty where
he can just not have any troubles.
Finally
the last case of symbolism is the iPod that Tad gives Jeffry so he can use it during
his big Bike-a-Thon. One example is in page 242 in a note written to Jeffry
from Tad, Tad states, “All right, Jeffry, here are some big–boy pants. Put ‘em
on and crank out fifty miles for me. By the way, the iPod only has one playlist
on it. Press play when you leave the starting line, ok?” This symbolizes the
death of Tad because the iPod was the last thing Jeffry has to remember Tad
from before he went on the Bike-a-Thon. Secondly in page 244 the text says, “I knew
immediately what Tad was doing to me: It was classic Tad. He had always
collected morbidly depressing songs, and obviously he thought it would be funny
to make me listen to them during the ride.” This further proves my point
because this iPod that Tad gave Jeffry will give Jeffry an everlasting memory
of Tad because of the songs Tad chose. To finalize, the iPod that Tad gave
Jeffry will always make Jeffry remember Tad and symbolizes the death of Tad.
In
conclusion, oatmeal symbolizes the time when Jeffry had cancer and Jeffrey’s
bike symbolizes the time when Jeffry can live free and not worry about any of
his own troubles. I think that After Ever After, and its rich variety of
comedy and drama make it one of the most thought provoking reads of my life.
Throughout the whole book I felt myself getting more and more deeply invested
in the interesting and constantly evolving character Tad, whose tragic death
not only made me heartbroken but also made me think about how devastating children’s
cancer is to families all over the world. Sonnenblick does this by telling the story through the
perspective of Jeffry who cares so much about the well being of his best
friend, and the author makes you hope so much for the life of Tad, that when he
dies, it makes you really think about how hard it is for people to go through a
tragic death and makes you want to know more about the problem.
No comments:
Post a Comment