Tuesday, November 25, 2014
Henry Monroe
803
11/25/14
In a story location sets the tone in many ways. Often times, the setting is an early indicator to the reader of the nature of the story, those that take place in a positive or stable environment usually explore themes of a lighter nature than those stories that take place in an environment more dystopian.
One example of this is in the story Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin with the strange light tone not only effect the mood, but it also is full of symbols. One example of an mood is the observatory deck, a place where people look at loved ones still alive. Because of t his, it has a very gloomy aura and sets the rest of the chapter. An example of symbolism is the fact the on the boat ride to elsewhere, the close people where and the ship it self is all white I believe this symbolizes the idea of elsewhere being some sort of heaven considering people associate white with life and heaven. Finally yet another case of symbolism is founded in the building in which all jobs and peoples problem are taken care of in elsewhere, it's massive and seems to be endless. I believe this symbolizes the chaos of living with so much other people and that in elsewhere and that you have to make a living for your self in the real word because not everything is personalized towards you.
In conclusion I think elsewhere is a book chalk full of symbolism and mood changes all because of setting. I believe because of this, this book has shown me morals and lessons in a unique way and I recommend anyone looking for a good read to check it out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment